Thursday, December 15, 2011

Mary

For the Mighty One has done great things for me - holy is his name. His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation. Luke 1:49-50

The verse above is out of the mouth of Mary, for soon she would give birth to Jesus. This is Mary's song.....she was already praising the Lord and although she knew He was to be the Savior, she had no idea what was to come....the cross. She would suffer the loss of her Son, but then the joy would come. Sorrow and Joy - they are inseparable. My favorite part of the song Mary Did You Know? says, "Mary did you know?....the child that you deliver, will soon deliver you." There was so much uncertainty and confusion before His birth, and yet He still came. Now, even in the midst of the chaos that comes with Christmas time or just life itself, what a powerful thought to know that in the midst of all this too.....He has come. 

How I long to have a heart like hers.

Never had I truly read these words and understood. Or maybe God is just revealing more of Himself. As I think back to this year and the journey with Mary Graham, the dark times and the uncertainty that has lingered, I can't help but think the Mightly One has done great things for me. This Christmas is different than I had pictured it to look. In fact, this year has been nothing like I planned. Expectations have been blurred. Honestly though, looking back, He has exceeded my expectations. I did not expect to experience the God of all comfort and mercy. I did not expect to see the light so much brighter after a dark day. I did not expect to grow relationships, not just those already in my life, but old friends and new ones that God has put in my path. I did not expect to see such great compassion and prayer through those around me. I did not expect to come to accept this trial after asking Him to take it away so many times. I did not expect for God to use this baby girl to draw others to Himself. I did not expect to feel the peace that passes all understanding in the midst of my fear. And, most of all.....I know Jesus more, deeper, even though I wouldn't have chosen this way....and I was not expecting that.

So this Christmas may be a little different, but we are so blessed. I hope you find the heart of Mary in the midst of whatever trials you are walking through, and I thank you so much for being so faithful to walk with us even when your lives are very full.

Thank you for continuing to pray for Mary Graham and our family. She is doing so well and I know that is because of God's grace and your prayers. She will have her cast changed on Friday at Children's. We pray for smooth and easy procedure.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment