Thursday, February 21, 2013

"Little Miracles"


"But as for me, I trust in you." Psalm 55

 

A couple months ago in Sunday school, a friend was praying for Mary Graham and I specifically remember him saying, "Lord, we thank you for the little miracles in Mary Graham's life." I thought that was such a perfect way to pray. For some reason, it stuck with me for days and weeks after....it just encompasses her little life so well and God's hand in every detail. Through all the ups and downs we have seen little miracles....one at a time. And God has showed me how to open my eyes wide, to see more of what He wants me to see....to see these little miracles. She is feeling great these days, totally off oxygen and really wanting to move more, we have been concerned because she hasn't had much drive to want to move, all a combination of her MD, scoliosis, surgeries, and fears, but the last month she is showing more effort. Today in therapy she took a few wobbly steps with support of her wagon, she didn't like it one bit, but to me it was another little miracle. And, you have all been praying so diligently for her rod infection not to return.....well, she has been off her antibiotics for over a month and she has had no fever or even one sign of infection, it would  have returned by now. I am a little hesitant to even type out these words....I really had my doubts and thought it was going to come back (even the doctors were not very positive) ....but with your prayers and God's amazing grace and mercy I believe that He has healed her infection.....in my book, this is a big miracle. Praise God for this huge answer to prayer.

So, off to Philadelphia we go this Sunday....surgery to expand her rods and insert a G-tube will happen on Tuesday. Last week we saw our pulmonologist for a follow up from the RSV and he was glad she was recovering well. Although he mentioned she may have a harder recovery next week because the RSV can linger for months in your lungs. Please pray for our fears and doubts as we approach this surgery. She will actually be admitted on Sunday, two days before surgery (this is a new approach for the VEPTR kids the CHOP team has put in place to optimize the pre-op care and have a full pulmonology workup...and I'm actually very glad). Because we were just at CHOP less than three months ago and then at Children's again here in between for the rsv....to be honest, I just really don't want to go back again right now....when she is doing so well, it's hard to think of putting her through even more next week, even though I know she needs it. Of course I know God is with us, he has reminded me daily of his presence and that He is in control....but the longevity of her treatment with so many surgeries seems to be hard to swallow these days. And I'm just more nervous this time....maybe because we have been through quite a few "hurdles" these last 8 months and I wonder what is just around the corner. Through all my doubts though, I know God is going ahead of us, He always does and it is these times when I am weak, He is strong. And we are very thankful for CHOP and how the rods are helping her lungs grow. The verse above comes at the end of Psalm 55 after David has been telling the Lord all his fears and worries and distress and then at the end, his conclusion, what seems so simple, but true....just trust.

Mary Graham will be 2 years old on March 4th....it's hard for me to believe, but then again, sometimes it has felt like 10 years. Lee and I laugh and say if someone had taken a picture of us 2 years ago and compared it to today, we probably have many more wrinkles and gray hair :) Most of the time she is a complete joy, but I can definitely tell she's about to be two....I have seen a few glimpses of the "terrible twos"....oh dear....not sure how the non-mobile, very verbal two year old is going to play out...one day at a time, right? I am looking forward to all God is going to do in her little life over the next year, I am expecting great things...and i'm sure more gray hair too.

We ask you to pray for her expansion and G-tube surgery, for her lungs and breathing, the anesthesia, her recovery, Dr. Campbell and the other doctors and for no complications to arise. Also, for our fears, for peace and for us to just trust. My mom is going with me and MG and Lee and his mom are staying behind with Loftin and Lucy. Please pray for traveling and all the logistics. We covet your prayers, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment