Sunday, August 7, 2011

A pretty cool story

Yesterday I took Mary Graham to the pulmonologist in order to check on a spot found on her left lung during the MRI. My pediatrician had not been too alarmed by this and said since she wasn't showing any signs of congestion, it was probably nothing. Nonetheless, he wanted to have it checked since babies with scoliosis can have respiratory problems. We prayed that the spot would be gone, and it was....praise God! MG is going to continue to see the pulmonologist, which I don't mind, because her doctor happens to be a good friend from sunday school, Grace. Grace is wonderful and it is always nice to be seen by someone I know amidst all these doctor appointments.

Here is the cool part....
We were called to the nurse triage area first to have Mary Graham's weight, height, bp, etc. done by a young, sweet nurse. As I'm sitting there with MG in my lap, another older, "grandmotherish" nurse was on her computer next to us. She turned around and was talking to me and MG and asking if she was always so happy. The nurses were both saying that most babies are crying when they have all that done and I told them that Mary Graham is a sweet, content baby most of the time. I was just about to tell them about her health issues, but got distracted as the nurse was trying to take her BP. Then, quietly I heard the older nurse whispering and I looked over to see that she was looking right at Mary Graham....she had lifted both hands towards MG and was saying "Jesus, Jesus...thank you Jesus"...she whispered some other things too that I couldn't hear..... she was praying for her. It was then that I told her that Mary Graham had been through a lot in her little life, about the scoliosis, her hips and genetic testing we are awaiting. Right then another patient came in and the older nurse began helping him. But a few minutes later before we were done, I caught her eye again and she looked me in the eye and whispered to me "it's going to be okay, she's going to be okay." My eyes welled up....I wanted to run to her, burst into tears and say "do you really think she will be okay?" but I just mouthed "thank you" and went on to our room. I never saw her again after that.

So, take that for what it's worth, but I am certain that God placed me there purposely at just the right time. Not that I think that nurse has some spiritual insight or anything crazy like that....to me it was just a sweet moment of God's sovereignty over all of our lives, step by step, moment by moment. Maybe that nurse does that with all the patients that come through, I don't know....but I do know that her prayers were heard and I praise God for moments like these in the midst of this uncertain journey.

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing that nurse was?! Love reading here and seeing your insights on God's faithfulness in this storm. Continuing to pray for more good news and especially for Mary Graham's healing.

    ReplyDelete