Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Making progress


Summer has begun and we were able to go to the lake with my family this weekend-it was a such a nice change of scenery and so helpful to have lots of people to help with MG and cousins to entertain her. It's like therapy for me to go there and be still, eat good food, enjoy the sunshine and sit on the porch and talk.  And we started seeing more improvements in Mary Graham. She even did a couple of slow boat rides.

She has started asking when she will be able to walk again and I know she is scared. Yesterday she said, "I can't wait to rip my harness off and run around, will I be able to do that again Mom?"
The pain she has been through these last couple months has been and is still intense. And she is still healing and working through the stiffness. She has some really good long stretches of no pain where she's happy and plays, but still having some pretty hard times of pain also, mostly in the morning when she's stiff and sore. She is sleeping much better-although last night was not good. It's almost like she is having nightmares about her pain because she will whine and cry without waking up. And we are starting to let her sit without her harness on so she will start moving her left leg and hip more, she's actually suppose to leave it off for 6-8 hours, but she hasn't lasted that long and always asks to put it back on.  The pain is different now that she's moving her hip a little bit-it's kind of hard to explain. But we are very thankful for the progress she has made and pray for more improvement over the coming days and weeks.

I'm so glad things are slowly looking up. And we are definitely having some joyful times and those are so refreshing. As I have looked back over the last few months, I have decided I'm not a very good sufferer (is that even a word??). I can be whiny, complain and just annoyed that this is not my plan and I would much rather be enjoying the summer in a different way. Our pastor said the other week, "it's often that we look at our lives and things aren't what they ought to be, or what we had envisioned."

This year has been a trying year for many reasons in our family. I know and believe with my heart that God is in all this, he's sovereign and in control, but my mind has a hard time catching up at times.  And i'm very forgetful of these truths.  At times I have been bitter and just sad for her and all that we took away from her with one surgery. I hope and pray she will get it all back, but it's hard to watch and wait and wait some more. I read something the other day about lamenting. My prayers these days have mostly gone something like "help Jesus." And I know he hears. The Psalms are full of laments of those crying out to God-he wants us to. That's when we have complete dependence on him. Then I read these verses today from Hebrews 5.....

"During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered." 

It's all a learning and growing process. And Jesus truly understands. And that's the greatest Truth. 

Thanks for continuing to pray.
We feel loved and lifted up so much! 
 Here are some pics of the last week or so. 



MG has started wanting to dress up again-a good sign she's feeling better, a bad sign for me to have to change her costume 15 times a day ;)

Lake time

Relaxing


We dropped Loftin off at Alpine Camp for Boys for 10 days-I miss him so much but know he's having a blast

Car rides have been very painful, but we decided to try her old car seat (instead of the one we have been using for her cast) and she fits! And this may be the answer to less pain in the car.

This was MGs first real outting. About 30 mins at the library. I plopped her on this huge dog and Lucy read to her-sweet sister moment ;)



1 comment: