Monday, April 27, 2015

Place of Lack

Last week Mary Graham got the stomach bug....I had a thought before she had surgery that wouldn't it be horrible if she got the stomach bug in the cast, how would that even work? She threw up in the yard, but thankfully it only lasted a day and she's feeling much better now. It was a slow week, but last Thursday she was able to go to school for 4 hours and she did really well. This was huge and such a nice break for the both of us. Hopefully she will go again this Wednesday.

During all the craziness of last week, I was reading a little devotion on the book of Ruth. The writer talked about how God provided for Ruth, at just the right time (Ruth 2:17-23), even if her life was not going how she probably would have chosen. She said she was living from a "place of lack." I have never heard it phrased that way. Aren't we all living in this "place of lack" so often,  lacking something, hoping for something, looking for something, waiting for something, the next moment, the next best thing that will make us happier? This is so hard. I know I am (especially these days) focusing on what I'm lacking and not focusing on the portion and my cup that God is holding in his hands, as the verse below says.
"But sometimes when we live from a place of lack, we find ourselves thankful for what is right in front of us." What a hard truth to understand. But God has us right where he wants us-we have trials and hardships along with joy, and, like Ruth, we may wish things were different. But the "Lord holds my lot" and when I focus on that, I see his grace and goodness and the beautiful inheritance he promises. 


Like when MG started getting sick last week-we were at my friend Laura's house. She went and got me coffee and then when MG got sick-she just stood there beside me and helped me hold her and care for her. God put her there at just the right time. And not many people want another child throwing up in their house-but she never complained.

Then, fun surprises will just appear in our mailbox-this one from my sweet friend in Nashville. Activities for MG and then a book for me (yes, it is called "Dad is Fat") and is a hilarious book by a comedian and his life with 5 children-I have laughed outloud reading this book-she knew that's what I needed.



Lucy danced in her ballet recital this week and it was beautiful and a treat to watch all the girls. They sang All in All with sign language-it was a sweet time of praise and worship. 

                                         

And, ones of MG's best friends, Mei Sims came over to play last week. I propped her up in her room and gave them lots of toys and Mei Sims just brought things to her and they played-it was a sweet picture of their friendship and how the cast didn't even seem to get in the way, even of them dressing up like princesses.

                               

So, even though we are tired and ready for cast-free days, there is so much goodness right in front of me. And these are just a few of the blessings we have received. God knows our lack and is right here with us. 

We are getting close to the halfway mark of 6 weeks (although the doctor mentioned one time she could have the cast for 8 weeks-I'm just pretending I never heard him say that). Please pray for tomorrow-we go for a checkup with the ortho and to have an X-ray. We pray her hip and femur are healing properly. Thank you always for praying for us and with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment